top of page


Study Permits

Study permits or Student Visas are similar to a Work Permit, except they allow you to study in Canada. A Study Permit offers several additional benefits, including the ability to work on-campus during the school term and off-campus during the summer without needing to obtain a Work Permit. A Study Permit may lead to a Post-Graduation Permit or Co-op Work Permit, and eventually to Permanent Residence status through the Canadian Experience Class Program.


Self-Employed Program


The intention of the program is to bring people to Canada who will become self-employed and be able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada. The program also has a farm management stream.

To qualify as a self-employed person under the program, you will need to have at least 2 years of relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and will be assessed on selection criteria that also includes your education, age, language abilities, and adaptability. You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family once you arrive in Canada and that you can contribute to Canada’s economy in one of the required areas.


Start-Up Visa Program (Entrepreneurs)


The intention of this program is to target immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that are innovative, can create jobs for Canadians and can compete on a global scale.

Canada is one of the world’s best places to build your business due to our strong economy, low taxes, low business costs, excellence in research and innovation and high quality of life.

If you have an innovative business idea and can get support for your idea from one of the designated organizations, you may be able to immigrate to Canada. Up to 5 people can apply under the Start-Up Visa Program as owners of a single business as long as they meet certain requirements. Other requirements include language abilities and proof that you can support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada; the Government of Canada does not offer financial support to new Start-up Visa immigrants.

These business programs can create a strong pathway for our clients who wish to stay in Canada permanently.


Family Sponsorship Canada


If you are a Permanent Resident and wish to sponsor a family member to join you here in Canada, you will need to do a Family-Member Sponsorship Application. Eligible family members are your spouse, common-law partner, children, parents, and grandparents. Additionally, under certain circumstances, you can sponsor an orphaned close relative such as an aunt or uncle, nephew or niece. As a sponsor, you will need to prove that you can take full financial responsibility for your family members because they will not be eligible for any financial aid from the Government of Canada. There are several other requirements that are specific to this program and for the greatest chance at a successful outcome, it is wise to have a recognized and experienced law firm — Lewis & Associates—  lead you through this process.


Express Entry


This is the system the Canadian Government uses to choose skilled immigrants as Permanent Residents based on their ability to settle in Canada and take part in our economy. The three programs managed by the Express Entry system are the: Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class. A fourth program is specific to the labour market needs of a particular province: The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).


Federal Skilled Worker Program


The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is in place for people wanting to live in Canada, outside Quebec, who are chosen by the government based on their skills and experience and six other selection factors based on age, language ability, work experience, education, adaptability and an offer of employment. Your eligibility is determined by a points system called a comprehensive ranking system.


Federal Skilled Trades Program


The Federal Skilled Trades (FST) Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

You must live outside of Quebec and meet certain language requirements and have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equivalent amount of part-time experience) in the specific trade you are applying with. You must meet the job requirements of the National Occupational Classification, (NOC), for your type of skill and have an offer of full-time employment for at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.


The employer offering the job must most likely have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment, which is a document they need before hiring a foreign worker. Only after the employer has a positive LMIA can the worker apply for a work permit with a job offer letter, a contract, a copy of the LMIA and the LMIA number.


Canadian Employers Responsibility: Labor Market Impact Analysis

A Labor Market Impact Analysis (LMIA) is an approval process required of Canadian employers to allow them to hire foreign nationals in positions that will contribute to a strong Canadian labour market. They must prove that Canadian workers are not available to fill the positions. Once approved the employer can offer a specific job to a specific worker and that worker has the strongest chance to obtain a work permit for either 3 or 5 years. Family members are invited to join the sponsored employee and live in Canada (spouses and children) and the spouse is eligible for an open work permit. More often than not this pathway leads to successful permanent residency for the family.

bottom of page